- 1-3 hot jalapenos
- ¼ cup onion
- (optional ingredients: chopped celery, bell pepper)
- garlic powder or clove of garlic
- can of stewed tomatoes (or tomato sauce and fresh tomatoes)
- Chop up jalapenos, according to your taste for heat.
- Chop onion, and optional ingredients.
- To smash peppers best, use a lava bowl (molcajete)
- Rinse lava bowl in advance with warm water, then add chopped hot peppers;
- Cover totally with salt and garlic powder (or 1 good sized clove)
- Smash up the peppers until they've created a good liquid, then add onion and smash until soft.
- Have a fairly good sized bowl ready to put your salsa in.
- add a can of stewed tomatoes, (or fresh if you only have tomato sauce use ½ to a whole can)
- Smash in a little at a time.
- When bowl is too full to hold anymore, pour it into the extra bowl and smash up the rest of the tomatoes.
- Add this to the rest of the sauce and it's ready to go.
- If it's still too hot for you add some more onion and squeeze some fresh lemon in and add a little more salt.