BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES
Author: Ophelia Shattenburg
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 5 pints
- ½ c. salt
- 2 qt. onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 qt. cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4½ c. vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1½ turmeric
- 3½ mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. cloves, (ground)
- Place all vegetables in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with the salt. Mix and place a try of ice on top of vegetables.
- Let stand 3 hours.
Combine in a large kettle:
- In a large kettle combine vinegar, sugar turmeric, mustard seeds, ground cloves.
- Heat to boiling.
- Drain vegetables.
- Pour vegetables into boiling vinegar solution.
- Over low flame, heat to boiling, but do not boil.
- Stir to prevent scorching.
- Place vegetables in sterilized pint jars.
- Cover with the vinegar solution to within ½ " from the top of jar and seal.
- Process in hot water bath for 5 minutes.