LIME CUCUMBER SLICES (unslack lime)
This is one of those recipes that doesn't make sense to me. I am copying this directly from my grandma's cookbook exactly as it is written. If it doesn't make sense to you, don't use it! My mom told me that she worked in the school cafeteria at Riverview School when I was in first grade, so that might explain the two different cucumber measurements, she may have reduced part of the recipe and forgotten the second mention of the cucumbers...Just a guess.)
Author: Bea Avants
Recipe type: Appetizer
- Slice ½" or thinner; 7 lbs. cucumbers. Dissolve together 1 gallon water and 1 c lime. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 24 hours. Drain and place in cold water and let stand 4 hours or overnight. Drain and put following solution over cucumbers.
- For 14 lbs. of cucumbers, take 9 pounds of sugar ( 10 lbs. less 2¼ cup)
- gallon vinegar
- Tbsp. mustard seed
- tsp mixed pickling spices
- Tbsp celery seed
- Tbsp salt
- Let stand in cold solution for 4 hours or overnight.
- Place over heat and boil 40 minutes, the pickles will be clear and green.