Lye is toxic. Please read and understand all packaging instructions before using for processing foods for human consumption.
Author: Ila Berg
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 10 gallons water
- 1 c. Babbit's lye
- 2 cups salt
- 5 gallons water
- Dissolve lye in a porcelain crockery container.
- Pour olives in and let stand 48 hours.
- Stir often, and I mean often..
- Pour off lye water and cover with fresh water
- Change water twice daily, until they do not taste of lye.
Make salt brine:
- cups of salt to 5 gallons water.
- Cover well, drain olives with salt brine.