- 3 or 4 lb beef (arm blade)
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp marjoram
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. lard or drippings
- 1 bouillon cube
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ cup hot water (or substitute red wine)
- ½ tsp parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp basil
- The flour is for gravy, if desired, it's real good.
- Salt and pepper meat and brown in drippings.
- Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water; add with all the spices and salt to meat.
- Cover tightly; cook slowly, 3 to 3½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Optional: Baste with white wine while cooking. May use beef stock base instead of bouillon cube. 1 tsp per 1 cube. May use ½ pkg. onion soup.